About Ian Heydon
Ian Heydon is an award-winning comedy writer who, over the past three decades, has written for television, radio, print, stage, internet and has a number of recordings.
Ian’s hobbies include scuba diving, painting (canvases, not houses), fine wine (and not so fine wine) and playing pool. Married with two grown-up kids he lives in Toowoomba in South-East Queensland.
Writer on various comedies and specials including Kingswood Country, Daily At Dawn, Graham Kennedy’s World of Comedy, Home Sweet Home, AFI Awards, Howard: The Mild Colonial Boy.
Writer/producer comedy/lifestyle programs including For The Term Of Her Natural Life, The Samuel Pepys Show, How Green Was My Cactus, The Year My Country Broke, Paul Clitheroe’s Talking Money, Getaway. Guest lecturer at the Australian Film Television and Radio School 1995 – 1999. This side of the millennium there have been a few projects including The Walkabout Man, the Weekend Wine Warrior (and comedy segments for Charles Wooley Across Australia).
Union Soup, The Samuel Pepys Show, Everybody Makes Misteaks, Black & Blue (A Black Eye for the White Guy), Big Fat Bastards Like Me, The Functioning Drunk.
4 albums from Samuel Pepys Show, 5 from How Green Was My Cactus, 1 from The Year My Country Broke. Lyrics for Wind in the Wire, Sand & Sea and Barbed Wire Fences (Dave Prior), comedy/lyrics Big Fat Bastards Like Me, The Soup’s Too Hot, Have I Missed Anyone? and The Functioning Drunk. Writer Full Member APRA (Australasian Performing Right Association Ltd).
- Publisher and Creative Director for Kid Zone – national monthly magazine for 9-14 year olds (1987-1990).
- Contributor – Internet chapter for three editions Paul Clitheroe’s Making Money (1998/99/2001).
- Contributor Making Radio - A Practical Guide to Working in Radio in the Digital Age (Radio Comedy section) 2000, 2006, 2011
- Author, The Small Guide to A Big Country (Explore Australia 2003)
- Articles for Voyeur and Holidays for Couples magazines (2005)
- Developed and Produced Getaway Online (1996-1998).
- Executive Producer, Travel Online (1999-2001)
- Creative Director, Ancestor Travel and Great Britain & Ireland Visitors Bureau (2002)
- Small Guide to A Big Country (2003)
- Vanuatu A to Z and Honeymoon Vanuatu (2003)
- Fiji A to Z and Cook Islands A to Z (2004)
- Resort Weddings, Tropical Honeymoons and Study Vanuatu (2005)
- Samoa A to Z and (2006)
- Go Vanuatu, Cruise Vanuatu, Honeymoon Pacific, Eulogy Writer (2007)
- Wedding Writer (2008)
- Weddings Vanuatu (2009)
- My MS, Pacific Insider, South Pacific Weddings (2011)
- Cane & Able Travel, Cairns Disabled Travel (2012)
- Functioning Drunk, Canberra Disabled Travel, Disability Cruising, South Pacific Cruising (2013)
- Brisbane Disabled Travel, Best Deals Fiji, Best Deals Vanuatu, Forever Free, (2014)
- Rydges Post (2012/2013/2014/2015)
- Forever Free (2016)
- “Pater” (Australasian Academy Of Broadcast Arts and Sciences) Scriptwriter of the Year (1983, 1984 & 1985)
- “Pater” for Best Independent Production (1987)
- “Goldie” Time Club Award for Best Advertising Campaign (1985)
- “Raward” (Radio Industry Award) Best New Syndicated Program (1993)
- Accreditation Fiji Matai Travel Specialist (2005)
- Inaugural Business DisABILITY Award for Business Innovation (2012)
- “Awgie” (Australian Writers Guild) (1981, 1983, 1985, 1987, 1990, 1992, 1993)
- “Pater” (1984, 1985)
- “Raward” (1992, 1993, 1994, 1995)
- Telstra Financial Review Internet Awards, Best Travel/Leisure Site (1997)
- People’s Choice Heritage Song for Wind in the Wire, Australian Country Music Awards (2001)
- Business DisABILITY Awards 2013 in the Employment and Innovation & Access categories